Re: Odd root (and suid root) behavior

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 18:52:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> All,
>
> As of (at least) 1.99.2, an initial root login (or su root) after
> system startup hangs for almost a minute on a 486DX4-100 machine. Once
> logged in, though, everything procedes normally!
>
> This (mis)behavior also applies to the first suid root program run as a
> conventional user after login, if this helps.
>
> I am running shadow passwords if that makes a difference. Sorry not be
> more specific, but this is just so bizarre that I don't know where to
> start! Absolutely _no_ log messages, BTW.
>
> - Steve
>
> --
> |Steven N. Hirsch "Anything worth doing is worth |
> |University of Vermont overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson |
> |Computer Science / EE |

I would start by finding out which script is running at the time. On my
system I put an "echo mark_a1" at the beginning of some scripts and an "echo
mark_a2" at the end (of each of the boot scripts). When you know which
script, put similar echos in it around major commands to isolate which
command.

On my system, I had similar behavior after updating my kernel and "modules"
programs: it was due to new features of networking, specifically any
network command will stall while the kernel attempts to create the necessary
routes (ie by running pppd). This was solved by putting the offending
command (ntpdate) into the background with &.

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.3___
Pascal, n.: A programming language named after a man who would turn over in
his grave if he knew about it.