Re: Odd root (and suid root) behavior

Steven N. Hirsch (hirsch@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu)
Wed, 15 May 1996 18:36:10 -0400

Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> Swen Thuemmler:
> > I think I could make it work by not logging to the named pipe
> > /dev/xconsole anymore (I just commented the entry in /etc/syslog.conf).
>
> Hmm. I'm having this problem even though I have no /dev/xconsole at all,
> so it is probably something else... syslog() hangs for a minute or so
> just after bootup when I try to log in as root (or run su).
>
> Marek

A quick followup: I downloaded, built and installed sysklogd-1.3 today. The
freezeups stopped, but a new buglet appeared which I've heard discussed on this
list. Unless I put the startup command for syslogd in inittab, _after_
rc.multi is run, it dies immediately.

What did the cure for this turn out to be? Is it a problem with the kernel, or
a problem with syslog?

- Steve

|Steven N. Hirsch	"Anything worth doing is worth     |
|University of Vermont	 overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson |
|Computer Science / EE                                     |