Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely - SysV is fine

From: yaro
Date: Sun Mar 02 2014 - 17:39:44 EST

Fine, I'll just poke at this reply since it's that asinine. But this is
probably my last post in this thread since the idiocy from this poster has
gone from "curiously amusing" to "stupidly annoying."

By the way, I noticed you changed your fake email at least once in this
thread. I'm guessing you noticed people are starting to block you. Ever think
why?

On Sunday, March 02, 2014 02:23:52 PM NoTo CTTE wrote:
> You say nothing because there is nothing that you can say.

I say nothing because you're just insulting my intelligence.

> Simplicity is beautiful, and it works.

Initscripts are not simple. At all. Have you even looked at an initscript? I'm
thinking no.

> Systemd is a nightmare,

Why? What makes it a nightmare? Have you even used systemd or are you just
trolling?

> but you are using politics and psyops to push it on
> every single linux user, every distro, everywhere.

Uh... no, I gave valid technical reasons why systemd is better. Dependency-
based concurrent boot with cgroups control. And that's just ONE reason.

You're the one coming on here making paranoid claims about systemd being an
attempt to conquer Linux. I didn't make any political claims at any point in
this entire thread.

> I showed you code that does your vaunted concurrent boot systemddeeeee in a
> few lines of shell.

That's not shell, that's C. You don't even know what a shall script is, I'm
thinking.

Also, it doesn't do concurrency at all the same way as systemd does. Do you
even know how SysV and systemd work? I'm guessing, again, no.

> That simplicity was the way unix and linux was, before the windows
> programmers and the govt funded companies sunk their teeth into linux.

Hahaha. Initscripts are NOT simple. Please. PLEASE, do yourself a favor and
actually look at an initscript. Educate yourself. You're making yourself look
like an idiot.

> You know what & does.
> I guess not, you're too new to gnu.

Don't presume to know how long I've been using Linux. Judging by your complete
and utter lack of technical knowledge I'm willing to bet I've been using Linux
and the GNU toolchain a heck of a lot longer than you have.

Clearly you never wrote a shell script or tried to fix one. I have. I've also
worked with unit files. It's no contest that systemd unit files are much simpler
and easier to work with,

> > The scripts were written YEARS ago. They're fine. They do NOT need to be
> > changed. Debian SysV has concurrent boot aswell.

As concurrent as initscripts can safely get, which isn't that far. And hell
yes they need to be changed. Ever administrate a Debian Stable server? I
welcome a change to systemd on my server, way less hassle.

> > Systemd is a poison apple. 200k lines of unaudited root privlege code. A
> > consulting service to go along with this new _operating system_

Who says it's unaudited? You? Do you know how much work the DDs put into
supporting their packages? I don't think you do.

What new operating system?

Are you aware SysV also runs with root privileges? And it probably exposes the
system to more hazards given how many more processes it has to spawn over the
courseof just ONE initscript?

> > Here's an under 100 line init with concurrent boot:
> >
> > #include <signal.h>
> > #include <unistd.h>
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> > sigset_t set;
> > int status;
> >
> > if (getpid() != 1) return 1;
> >
> > sigfillset(&set);
> > sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, &set, 0);
> >
> > if (fork()) for (;;) wait(&status);
> >
> > sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, &set, 0);
> >
> > setsid();
> > setpgid(0, 0);
> > return execve("/etc/rc", (char *[]){ "rc", 0 }, (char *[]){ 0 });
> > }

The above is not an initscript. I'll concede it's a poorly thought out init
with a badly implemented concurrency setup, but your attempt to make systemd's
concurrency look like nothing special is laughable.

> > >/etc/rc is a shell script
> > >syslogd && getty ; udev ; network-config ; sshd & cron & nginx

Your point? What's so great about shell scripts? They're overcomplex, hard to
maintain, difficult to test and debug, spend more time in boilerplate than
system management, and are prone to failure. Nothign I say here is new/

> > see how much bullsht systemd is.

I see how much bullshit your claims are.