Re: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

From: David Ahern
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 18:11:06 EST

On 9/12/13 2:18 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
kconf approach of course:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/1/600
(minus the manual steps in that RFC).

I'm not sure what the end stage is where you'd like to arrive, but I don't
think that forcing a separate configuration pass is an improvement :-/

once I have a working config -- say one for a target (minimal build) and one for analysis (more but not all features -- eg., no gtk) I never see auto-probing again. At best some new feature (config) comes along and the config has to be updated again, but kconf only inquires about new features.

By default a simple 'make' should build perf to the maximum extent
possible, with no other input required from the user - with warnings
displayed as package install suggestions.

By default there is no config. Autoprobing generates a first one or a user can specify a defconfig.

David