Re: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 17:18:58 EST

* David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>hehe, no, that wasn't considered.
> >
> >/phew! :-)
>
> kconf approach of course:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/1/600
> (minus the manual steps in that RFC).

I'm not sure what the end stage is where you'd like to arrive, but I don't
think that forcing a separate configuration pass is an improvement :-/

By default a simple 'make' should build perf to the maximum extent
possible, with no other input required from the user - with warnings
displayed as package install suggestions.

This:

Enable newt-based TUI (NEWT) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable GTK-based UI (GTK2) [N/y] (NEW) n
Enable support for Bionic (e.g., Android platform) (BIONIC) [N/y] (NEW)
Development support for libc is available - glibc or bionic (LIBC) [N/y]
(NEW) y
Enable support for libelf (LIBELF) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable support for libunwind (LIBUNWIND) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable support for dwarf (DWARF) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable support for demangle (DEMANGLE) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable support for perl scripting engine (LIBPERL) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable support for python scripting engine (LIBPYTHON) [N/y] (NEW) y
Enable support for libaudit (LIBAUDIT) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
Enable support for libnuma (LIBNUMA) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
Enable support for stack backtrace debugging (BACKTRACE) [N/y] (NEW) y

would be useful only as long as each listed option is actually
_buildable_. I.e. it should not be possible for the user to configure perf
in a way that makes the build fail.

I.e. this should go on top of a feature detection logic, allowing further
customization, for features that the user might want to turn off.

Thanks,

Ingo