Re: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 01:09:36 EST

* David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > By default a simple 'make' should build perf to the maximum extent
> > possible, with no other input required from the user - with warnings
> > displayed as package install suggestions.
>
> By default there is no config. Autoprobing generates a first one or a
> user can specify a defconfig.

This could work if there's not two but three states for individual
features:

- autoprobe
- on
- off

and if autoprobe, if a system feature has been probed successfully,
automatically turned 'autoprobe' entries into 'on'.

That would give us the best of all worlds - autodetection, configurability
and caching:

- initial user types 'make' and gets a .config that has almost all
entries 'on', a few 'autoprobe'.

- once the user installs a dependency, the corresponding .config entry
turns into 'on'.

- the regular user or developers would have libraries that turn all
entries in the .config to 'on'.

- if a user is genuinely uninterested in a feature, he can mark it 'off',
which would then stay off permanently. This could also be used by
embedded/specialized builds.

- other specialized users, like distro builds, could use a .config with
all entries 'on' and could enforce the presence of all dependencies for
a successful build. [We could add 'make allyesconfig' to help that.]

Thanks,

Ingo