Re: i2c: introduce i2c helper i2c_find_client_by_name()

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Sun Jun 09 2013 - 15:53:40 EST

Please, try to avoid top posting in the future emails.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Bin Gao <bin.gao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> With v4l2, the camera sensor i2c devices are taken over by v4l2 master
> driver, i.e. ISP driver, and are not expected to be accessed from
> user sapce by ioctl. So ISP driver has to register them by itself to
> get all related information for further communication. Please check
> v4l2_i2c_new_subdev_board() in drivers/media/video/v4l2-common.c for details.

Yes, this is legacy approach for non-DT/non-ACPI5 platforms.

> The platform code can definitely disallow calling i2c_register_board_info()
> to register them but keep the i2c devices list and then let ISP driver register
> them. But, problems come when a single kernel is going to run on two platforms
> - one platform has ACPI5 and the other has SFI.

You have to forget about SFI. Your ISP subdevices use plain platform
data anyway.
In ACPI 5 case v4l2 framework must be extended to cover that case.

> The dynamic unregister and then
> register based on this new helper will not have dependency on firmware interface -
> the same platform code will work for all platforms.

It's not a care of the ISP driver. I think you have to talk to Sakari
about your issues.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko