Re: [RFC 1/8] serial:st-asc: Add ST ASC driver.

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 12:15:37 EST

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 12:03:05AM +0800, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:

> On May 8, 2013, at 11:53 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Greg on ST STB for more than 10 years we use ttyASC I'll prefer ttySx
> >
> > For 10+ years you have had an out-of-tree serial driver?
> yes ST have it out of tree for very long time even I puts them to come mainline

Crazy...

> > What
> > major/minor numbers did you use for it?
>
> http://git.stlinux.com/?p=havana/com.st.havana.kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/serial/stm-asc.h;h=79e003ffeb21df55a6af94774fc9c4b3d8de18e9;hb=HEAD
>
> 52 #define ASC_MAJOR 204
> 53 #define ASC_MINOR_START 40
>
> same as in this patch

Ok, but just because you have been using an out-of-tree name, and
non-reserved major/minor, doesn't mean we have to accept it. As you are
probably using a tool like udev/devtmpfs on your systems, the
major/minor number shouldn't matter, only the name.

And I'd argue that we should change the name as well.

> >> on the DTB SoC you have one one IP present the st,asc
> >
> > I don't understand, what do you mean by this?
> >
> > confused,
>
> just mention there is not hardware reason to not use the generic ttySx
> in place of ttyAS as we have only one IP that handle serial on this
> family of SoC
>
> personally I'll switch to ttySx

Great, then you can use the same major/minor range as well, so there's
no more objection from me about this :)

thanks,

greg k-h