Re: [RFC 1/8] serial:st-asc: Add ST ASC driver.

From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 12:14:43 EST

On May 8, 2013, at 11:53 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 05:40:57PM +0200, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:

>>> I agree, why are you trying to create a new tty device name? Can't you
>>> use the existing ttyS name and minor number as you will not have any
>>> other type of serial device on this system?
>>
>> Greg on ST STB for more than 10 years we use ttyASC I'll prefer ttySx
>
> For 10+ years you have had an out-of-tree serial driver?
yes ST have it out of tree for very long time even I puts them to come mainline

> What
> major/minor numbers did you use for it?

http://git.stlinux.com/?p=havana/com.st.havana.kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/serial/stm-asc.h;h=79e003ffeb21df55a6af94774fc9c4b3d8de18e9;hb=HEAD

52 #define ASC_MAJOR 204
53 #define ASC_MINOR_START 40

same as in this patch

>> on the DTB SoC you have one one IP present the st,asc
>
> I don't understand, what do you mean by this?
>
> confused,

just mention there is not hardware reason to not use the generic ttySx in place of ttyAS
as we have only one IP that handle serial on this family of SoC

personally I'll switch to ttySx

Best Regards,
J.--