Re: [RFC 1/8] serial:st-asc: Add ST ASC driver.

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 12:31:59 EST

On Wednesday 08 May 2013, Greg KH wrote:
> > just mention there is not hardware reason to not use the generic ttySx
> > in place of ttyAS as we have only one IP that handle serial on this
> > family of SoC
> >
> > personally I'll switch to ttySx
>
> Great, then you can use the same major/minor range as well, so there's
> no more objection from me about this :)

Does that work these days when you have kernel with multiple built-in
uart drivers?

I think it would be good if all uarts were using the same name space
and major/minor numbers, but I think the mess we currently have is
the result of the tty_register_driver() interface reserving the
device number range at driver load time, independent of the presence
of devices. I would assume that normal distro kernels always ship
with an 8250 driver built-in to allow using that as the console,
and if I read the code correctly, that currently prevents another
uart driver from registering the same major/minor numbers.

Arnd