Re: [RFC] SIGKILL vs. SIGSEGV on late execve() failures

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri Feb 15 2013 - 20:22:48 EST

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 04:40:18PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> >> This might be a stupid miscue on my part, but shouldn't it be
> >> force_sig instead of send_sig?
> >>
> >> I've got this crazy hunch that having SEGV masked might muck something up.
> >
> > How would you manage to have it masked at that point? setup_new_exec()
> > is inevitable after success of flush_old_exec() and it will do
> > flush_signal_handlers() for us.
>
> I have to agree with Shentino on this one: it's entirely possible that
> send_sig() is always equivalent to force_sig() in this circumstance,
> but rather than depend on that kind of non-local subtlety, we should
> just make it obvious. This is what "force_sig()" exists for - making
> it clear that we punch through any signal handlers. Whether such a
> signal handler can exist or not is kind of immaterial.

*shrug*

Fine by me - the variant I'd posted simply moved these calls in one
place; I've no problem with replacing them with force_sig() (or
force_sigsegv(SIGSEGV, current), for paranoia sake). OTOH, I'd probably
prefer to make it a separate commit.

FWIW, now that I've looked into what's involved in merging flush_old_exec()
and setup_new_exec()... Here's something that looks like a bug:
#include <sys/personality.h>
#include <unistd.h>
main()
{
char *argv[] = {"uname", "-m", "-r", NULL};
char *envp[] = {NULL};
personality(0x0020000); /* UNAME26 */
execve("/bin/uname", argv, envp);
}

On amd64 testbox (3.0.60-based kernel):
2.6.40+ x86_64
On alpha:
3.3.6+ alpha

Cause: SET_PERSONALITY() on alpha doesn't care to preserve the upper bits
of current->personality and just does either set_personality(PER_LINUX) or
set_personality(PER_LINUX_32BIT).