Re: Query related to MSR(Magnetic Stripe Reader) Device Driver

From: Priyaranjan Das
Date: Fri Feb 15 2013 - 06:18:38 EST

Hi Greg,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Priyaranjan Das
<priyaranjan456789@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 03:25:08PM +0530, Priyaranjan Das wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,

>>> The MSR will be a part of a SoC. It is a memory mapped device hence
>>> there is no interface like USB.
>>
>> Ok, that's different. But how will your driver want to communicate the
>> reader data to userspace? That will probably determine where you want
>> to put it.
>>
>> I would recommend making it an input device and sending keystrokes that
>> you read from the card, so you can properly integrate into userspace
>> applications that are used to using a card reader.
>>
>>> MSR IP contains an ADC which the driver will read and interpret the
>>> data. I am planning to write a Driver for the same. Will this driver
>>> fall under drivers/mfd/* ?
>>
>> As per the above, I would think drivers/input/ wouldn't you?
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>

> Thanks for your help!.
>
> Yes, you are right, it should be under drivers/input.
> I am trying to prepare the design right now.

The MSR IP can be also be used either as a general purpose ADC or in
Magnetic stripe card reader mode.The IP supports both the modes and
provides FIFO for storing ADC data.

I also got to know about IIO subsystem where ADC drivers are
implemented. Our use-case will be to use either Magnetic Stripe reader
mode or general purpose ADC mode in a given configuration. Can I use
IIO subsystem for the Magnetic Stripe driver?

Regards,
Priyaranjan