Re: Including drm-intel tree to linux-next

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Fri Feb 15 2013 - 04:44:05 EST

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:19:53 +0100 Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 03:12:02PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> >
>> > Since about a year ago we've switched drm/i915 to buffer around 2
>> > weeks worth of patches so that we can do decent QA before breaking
>> > everyone's tree when things land in Dave's drm-next. But that also
>> > means we'll miss out a bit in the integration testing -next provides,
>> > which did hurt a bit in recent efforts. Hence can you please include
>> >
>> > git://people.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm-intel drm-intel-next-queued
>> >
>> > into linux-next? Probably best to merge it after drm-next. Note that
>> > drm-intel-next are the QA'ed chunks I send off to Dave. Also, any
>> > mailing lists I'm supposed to follow? And if possible please cc
>> > intel-gfx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx besides dri-devel/lkml when conflicts
>> > with that tree pop up (you won't get moderation spam any more, we've
>> > fixed that up).
>
> Added from today. I am in two minds a bit since I really like stuff in
> linux-next to have been reviewed and debugged as much as possible. But
> I have added it and will keep an eye on how many problems it causes.

The patches in my next queue are fully reviewed and (should) have seen
at least basic testing. The additional QA on top is just normal
regression testing and about every 2 weeks a manual testing cycle for
things like hotplug on the bazillion configurations we support (since
that takes our QA team about 1 week to complete we can't do higher
frequency there). The reason we've put that next queue buffer into
place was that before the pulls to Dave received essentially 0 testing
from our QA, resulting in lots more regressions slipping through.
-next-queued is also what I run here on all my machines and what patch
development is usually based on for drm/i915.

Does that put your concerns at ease?

> Problem reports will go to you, intel-gfx and dri-devel. You can follow
> linux-next@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (I sometimes post stuff there that goes
> nowhere else (except lkml - which noone seems to notice :-)).

Thanks, I'll subscribe to linux-next then.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation