Re: [GIT PULL] removal of 1980s PC-XT MFM 8bit ISA disk driver

From: Linus Walleij
Date: Thu Feb 14 2013 - 04:06:58 EST

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Paul Gortmaker
<paul.gortmaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But before doing that though, lets look at this rather contrived "fix"
> that coincidentally happened to appear after the deletion was suggested.

Hm. Haha, I had no idea that this driver was simultaneously being
considered for removal.

> 1) it claims the following: "...the fact that it was in the kernel tree
> SAVED MY DATA." [caps exactly as in original]. This is patently false,

I don't know what kind of debate you guys are having or what kind
of background there is in this discussion, but it's not like you're using
a welcoming tone to new contributors here.

Are you guys in the middle of some flamefest of the same type
as the inclusionist vs deletionist power-struggle they have over
at the Wikipedia every now and then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deletionism_and_inclusionism_in_Wikipedia

All I was doing was hacking some old hardware, and I was having fun,
while retrieveing some old pascal programs.

Compare the title of a book put out by some kernel developer a while
back.

Part of this mail seems to be something like review comments,
I recommend you send these as replies to the individual patches?

As for whether to delete or maintain the driver I do not really
care, what I know is that having it around was helpful and fun
for this one hacker here.

Yours,
Linus Walleij