Re: [tip:x86/mm] x86, mm: Use a bitfield to mask nuisance get_user() warnings

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 23:47:42 EST

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with it. Certainly it
> looks much better than the disgusting and warning-prone
>
> unsigned long long __val_gu8
>
> thing.

Oh. I just realized. That was your _baseline_ in the comparisons, wasn't it?

Can you please make the baseline be the current mainline git version
of <asm/uaccess.h>, not the first "unsigned long long __val_gu8"
version of the 64-bit get_user()?

Because we should compare against the straightforward code, not the
one that could have messed things up already..

Linus