Re: Minimal jitter = good desktop.

From: el_es
Date: Sat Oct 06 2012 - 10:53:28 EST

Uwaysi Bin Kareem <uwaysi.bin.kareem <at> paradoxuncreated.com> writes:

[sorry for cutting out the context], but it's been topposted]

But the problem is, we cannot measure 'jitter' directly.
There is no reliable benchmark that produces results adherent
to what someones' definition of 'jitter' is.

At software level we only have a notion of latency, and that
leads to jitter as david said, but as the kernel is not real-time,
you cannot guarantee every opengl command/fb transfer will be finished
in time for next frame to be drawn.

Maybe if someone could get the information of % finished frames
(or % dropped frames) within one slice of userspace, that would
be something to build on, but it's still a derivative and with
unknown bias level.

Lukasz