Re: Minimal jitter = good desktop.

From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem
Date: Sat Oct 06 2012 - 14:02:10 EST

This is really simple, and I don`t care about top posting, down posting, in the middle comments or whatever. Do whatehver you like, and have no other rule that what is in your soul. That is what drives ultimately society. Look up Aristotle natural-law. Which actually is based in divine nature.

Now jitter, is really easy. Jitter-sensitive OpenGL applications will show visible jitter. Doom 3 is extremely sensitive. I have tried to make it run well many times, but it wasn`t until I became aware of more unintuitive behaviour not according to theory with some settings, and I started trying reversing them. And then I found 90hz to be optimal, and giving a perfectly running doom 3. Someone actually suggested I try 10000hz BFS patch, because "it would reduce latency." Which I did. But then I also tried 20hz, and there was little difference on BFS. Ultimately I arrived at 90hz with CFS, and tweaking it`s granularity a bit, and it worked well. (Better than BFS). So in that case, JITTER is solved. Also a lot of low-jitter configs use low hz. So that seems to back it up. And everything on my computer seems to be running better. Smoother, more responsive. Even the ads in my browser ;(

I also appreciate those who can measure small jitter in the uS range, and mitigate it. But I would also like for those, to check if a simple hold-logic would be better. For the 10ms filter I mentioned. Say hold for 1ms at 0, and then to regular peak values. It seems that would be a better filter. This just me being a perfectionist ofcourse.

So yes, according to the general definition of "os-jitter" it seems highly reduced.

I don`t know at all why you are mentioning opengl calls. Obviously games, do run quite well. Atleast now. It is also going to be great to test new games coming, and keep iterating knowledge and tuning. Also ofcourse OpenGL is a great part of Wayland, and I hear more h/w is used there, and hopefully it doesn`t stop performance in games, so one can have an effectful desktop, without worrying about game-performance. Some of the GUI in doom3, running completely smooth, shows some great potential for GUI-ideas aswell :)

Peace Be With You.