Re: Minimal jitter = good desktop.

From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem
Date: Sat Oct 06 2012 - 09:20:01 EST

In the context of os-jitter, delay/latency is measured as jitter.

Peace Be With You.

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 03:06:57 +0200, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:

less jitter != less latency

you could (in theory) eliminate jitter by delaying every keypress processed for exactly 1 second by having the code paths that process keypresses faster insert delays before implementing the results.

that would result in zero jitter, but horrific latency.

latency is how long it takes to do something, jitter is how much the latency varies.

normally, if you optimize for one you make the other worse.

If you optimize for latency, you try to finish everything as soon as you can. Since some things take longer than others, jitter increases.

David Lang