Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue Jun 12 2012 - 07:08:27 EST

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 12:27 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 13:20 +0300, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Peter, you are very fundamentally wrong if you think the distance
> > array has to be symmetric. That is fundamentally not true for many
> > typologies.
> >
> > The trivial example of a non symmetric case is just a simple
> > unidirectional ring. The distance from n to n+1 is just one, but the
> > distance from n+1 to n is n-1 hops.
> >
> > So don't try to say that distances have to be symmetric. That's just
> > garbage.
>
> Sure, I realize this, but the 17,18 thing isn't a ring. It looks like
> something that should be symmetric but isn't.

Not a unidirectional one that is.. I played around a bit more and found
a shape that isn't too odd:

2
/ \
0 5
/ / \
\ / /
4 6
\ /
7

I would've crossed 0<->6 instead of 1<->3 so the 2/3 connected nodes are
spread better, but what do I know.

The only really odd thing is the numbering, which is what threw me.

But yeah, the possibility of uni-directional rings makes detecting
obvious crack tables harder, which is why I haven't got it -- yet.