Re: Horrible btrfs performance on cold cache

From: Calvin Walton
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 11:46:47 EST

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 03:30 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use btrfs on most of my volumes on my laptop, and I've always felt
> booting was very slow, but definitely sure is slow, is starting up
> Google Chrome:
>
> encrypted ext4: ~20s
> btrfs: ~2:11s
>
> I have tried different things to find out exactly what is the issue,
> but haven't quite found it yet.

If you've been using this volume for a while, it could just have become
badly fragmented. You could try btrfs's fancy online defragmentation
abilities to see if that'll give you an improvement:

# btrfs filesystem defragment /mountpoint/of/volume

Let us know if that helps, of course :)

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@xxxxxxxxx>