Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 03:19:24 EST

On 03/22/2010 12:00 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Consider the _other_ examples that are a lot more clear:

' If you expose paravirt spilocks via KVM please also make sure the KVM
tooling can make use of it, has an option for it to configure it, and
that it has sufficient efficiency statistics displayed in the tool for
admins to monitor.'

' If you create this new paravirt driver then please also make sure it can
be configured in the tooling. '

' Please also add a testcase for this bug to tools/kvm/testcases/ so we dont
repeat this same mistake in the future. '
All three happen quite commonly in qemu/kvm development. Of course someone
who develops a feature also develops a patch that exposes it in qemu. There
are several test cases in qemu-kvm.git/kvm/user/test.
If that is the theory then it has failed to trickle through in practice. As
you know i have reported a long list of usability problems with hardly a look.
That list could be created by pretty much anyone spending a few minutes of
getting a first impression with qemu-kvm.

It does happen in practice, just not in the GUI areas, since no one is working on them. I am not going to condition a qcow2 reliability fix to a gtk GUI.

So something is seriously wrong in KVM land, to pretty much anyone trying it
for the first time. I have explained how i see the root cause of that, while
you seem to suggest that there's nothing wrong to begin with. I guess we'll
have to agree to disagree on that.

Not anyone trying it for the first time. RHEV-M users will see a polished GUI that can be used to manage thousands of guests and hosts. I presume IBM and Siemens (and all other contributors) users will also enjoy a good user experience with their respective products. Qemu is not the only GUI for kvm.

So far only one company was interested in a qemu GUI - the makers of virtualbox. Unfortunately they chose not to contribute that back to qemu, and no one was sufficiently motivated to pick out the bits and try to merge them.

Again, if you are interested in a qemu GUI, you either have to write it yourself or convince someone else to do it. My own plate is full and my priorities are clear.