Re: RFC: Transparent Hugepage support

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 10:45:04 EST

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:40:37AM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> Ah, please keep CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE for a while.
> Now, memcg don't handle hugetlbfs because it's special and cannot be freed by
> the kernel, only users can free it. But this new transparent-hugepage seems to
> be designed as that the kernel can free it for memory reclaiming.
> So, I'd like to handle this in memcg transparently.
>
> But it seems I need several changes to support this new rule.
> I'm glad if this new huge page depends on !CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTRL for a
> while.

Yeah the accounting (not just memcg) should be checked.. I didn't pay
too much attention to stats at this point.

But we want to fix it fast instead of making the two options mutually
exclusive.. Where are the pages de-accounted when they are freed?
Accounting seems to require just two one liners
calling mem_cgroup_newpage_charge.