Re: Please consider reverting7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 10:40:23 EST

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I have to agree here. It happens why too often lately. And this needs to
> stop. Otherwise why bother with subsystem maintainers? Just send
> everything to Linus directly and have him to review every line of code.

You're full of sh*t.

Bugs are bugs. They should be reverted, and the people who introduced them
should be SHAMED if the thing was introduced after the merge window.

I don't need to review any line of code at all - a revert is a revert.
There's not a lot of review that needs, just a very obvious "that bug
causes more problems than it fixed".

And yes, I'm upset, because in this case I saw one of the _earlier_ bisect
results too, and I did actually spend time debugging it and sending
Johannes the information, because he basically ignored the bisect result.

That makes me upset. The fact that somebody has bisected the problem means
that you should damn well thank them, not complain. And look at the -rc
number, look at the commit - and you should realize that "please revert"
is OBVIOUSLY the right thing to say to something that introduces problems
after -rc5.

The fact is, maintainership does _not_ mean ownership. It means that you
should be _responsible_ for the code, and you get credit for it, but if
problems happen you do NOT "own" it. Not at all.

If you don't understand that, you shouldn't be a maintainer.

And if it's not obvious - I'm really upset that people are complaining
about "please revert" for this case. YOU were wrong.

Linus