Re: Staging: sxg: Add support to download the firmware usingrequest_firmware()

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 05:10:11 EST

> Firmware isn't "crap", it's needed by devices, and I don't see the
> problem of distributing it within the kernel tree, especially when the
> license of the firmware is just fine, like these files are.

For one firmware doesn't tie to the kernel release cycle so any
serious distribution has to split the two packages apart even if the
kernel community didn't.

For a second it keeps a lot of irrelevant, unreviewable enormous hex file
changesets *off* the kernel lists and out of the git tree tracking.

Alan