Re: Staging: sxg: Add support to download the firmware usingrequest_firmware()

From: Greg KH
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 22:38:47 EST

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 06:19:55PM -0700, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 18:07 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Who do we email to add this to?
>
> Clone git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git,
> add your firmware (and update the WHENCE file accordingly), and send me
> a pull request. Preferably with a Signed-off-by: from within the company
> that owns the firmware in question.

Care to document this somewhere in the kernel tree so we know about it?

> > And finally, what's wrong with adding new firmware images into the
> > firmware/ directory? What is the issue here?
>
> We're working on _removing_ this crap from the kernel source tree -- not
> adding new instances of it.

Firmware isn't "crap", it's needed by devices, and I don't see the
problem of distributing it within the kernel tree, especially when the
license of the firmware is just fine, like these files are.

> We have a separate repository in which we're collecting
> redistributable firmware images, and the distributions are moving
> towards shipping that instead of just the legacy stuff from the kernel
> tree. Add any new firmware to that repository instead, as described
> above.

Are there releases of the firmware tree published and announced
anywhere so the distros know to do this?

thanks,

greg k-h