Re: BISECTED: 2.6.29-rc2 regression: hibernation hang on eeepc-701

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Jan 24 2009 - 08:44:33 EST

On Saturday 24 January 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> It hangs at the same point as the unpatched RC2. As before, it doesn't
> >> hang if I use "shutdown" instead of "platform".
> >>
> >> Going by sysfs, I have 4 PCI devices without a kernel driver.
> >>
> >> 8086:2592 Mobile 915 Express Graphics Controller
> >> 8086:2792 Mobile 915 Express Graphics Controller (driven by X)
> >> 8086:2448 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
> >> 8086:2641 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge
> >>

> > The bridges shouldn't be affected, so I bet on the graphics.
> >
> > It seems that the BIOS doesn't expect it to be in D3 while entering S4,
> > although it apparently doesn't mind it to be in D3 while entering S3.
> >
> > I blame the Asus BIOS writers. ;-)
> >

> Wouldn't Windows normally put it into D3?

It need not put it into D3hot if it's going to remove power from it.

> There are many reports of successful hibernation under Windows on this
> hardware. The motivation being that S3 drains the battery in <24 hours.
> (Fewer people hibernate on linux because you only have a 4G SSD, so a swap
> partition wastes a lot of space, and most installers can't set up swap
> files).
>
> Also it sounds like it would break when the linux kernel mode setting
> driver is used.

Why would it break? This is the last phase of hibernation, right before
powering off things.

> I thought kernel mode setting was going to make suspend _more_ reliable :-).
>
> So in the long term I think we either need to find a more specific root
> cause, or implement a PCI quirk for this quirky machine.

Well, that would be preferable. However, since we didn't power manage devices
without drivers during hibernation before the patch that broke it for you, I
think we can safely go back to doing this.

Thanks,
Rafael