Re: current git kernel has strange problems during bisect

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 15:26:27 EST

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Christian Borntraeger
<borntraeger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my opinion we should really avoid subtree merges in the future as a curtesy
> to people who do the uncool work of testing, problem tracking and bisecting.
> </rant>

As an alternative, you can relatively easily rewrite the following
independent histories:

A -- B -- C
X -- Y -- Z

To look like this:

A -- B -- C -- X' -- Y' -- Z'

Where X' is (C + sub/dir/X), Y' is (C + sub/dir/Y), etc...

Assuming the following:
"master" branch points to commit C
"child" branch points to commit Z
"${KIDSTART}" is the SHA1 id of commit X

echo "${KIDSTART} $(git rev-parse --verify master)" >>.git/info/grafts

git filter-branch --index-filter 'git read-tree master && git
read-tree --prefix="sub/dir/" "${GIT_COMMIT}"' -- master..child

The one downside is then somebody actually has to *test* those commits
when doing a bisect, even though they did not materially change
anything. The upside is that there isn't any "what the hell just
happened?" when you *do* end up in the newly-created branch.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett