Re: current git kernel has strange problems during bisect

From: Andreas Bombe
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 12:21:42 EST

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:26:09PM -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Christian Borntraeger
> <borntraeger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In my opinion we should really avoid subtree merges in the future as a curtesy
> > to people who do the uncool work of testing, problem tracking and bisecting.
> > </rant>
>
> As an alternative, you can relatively easily rewrite the following
> independent histories:
>
> A -- B -- C
> X -- Y -- Z
>
> To look like this:

> Where X' is (C + sub/dir/X), Y' is (C + sub/dir/Y), etc...

Given that the subtree may have been in development for a long time, it
is almost a certainty that the older commits may compile on A but not
on C. By basing it all on C you create a lot of uncompilable commits
which hurt bisection just as bad. At least with missing kernel sources
it is obvious that an attempt at compilation is futile and a waste of
time.