Re: Extreme slowness with xfs [WAS: Re: Slowness with new pc]

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Nov 24 2008 - 04:50:42 EST

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Stian Jordet wrote:

sÃ., 23.11.2008 kl. 17.25 -0500, skrev Justin Piszcz:
As the original posted stated:

1. please post dmesg output
2. you may want to include your kernel .config
3. xfs_info /dev/mdX or /dev/device may also be useful
4. you can also check fragmentation:
# xfs_db -c frag -f /dev/md2
actual 257492, ideal 242687, fragmentation factor 5.75%
5. something sounds very strange, I also run XFS on a lot of systems and
have never heard of that before..
6. also post your /etc/fstab options
7. what distribution are you running?
8. are -only- the two fujitsu's (raid0) affected or are other arrays
affected on this HW as well (separate disks etc)?
9. you can also compile in support for latency_top & power_top to see
if there is any excessive polling going on by any one specific
device/function as well

1 & 2: Oh, sorry I forgot to attach dmesg and config in the last mail.

3:
root@chevrolet:~# xfs_info /dev/sdb1
meta-data=/dev/sdb1 isize=256 agcount=32,
agsize=11426984 blks
= sectsz=512 attr=0
data = bsize=4096 blocks=365663488,
imaxpct=25
= sunit=0 swidth=0 blks
naming =version 2 bsize=4096
log =internal bsize=4096 blocks=32768, version=1
= sectsz=512 sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=0
realtime =none extsz=4096 blocks=0, rtextents=0

4:
root@chevrolet:~# xfs_db -c frag -f /dev/sdb1
actual 380037, ideal 373823, fragmentation factor 1.64%

6: The only mount-option is relatime, which Ubuntu adds automatically.
Hmm. I haven't tried to mount without that option. Well, didn't help
without it neither, tried just now.

7: Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. This is a new system, and it has never run
anything other than Intrepid. This affects both the standard kernel, and
the vanilla 2.6.27.7 that I have compiled (dmesg and config attached is
from that kernel). Have also tried both 64 bit and 32 bit (just for fun)

8: I'll explain my setup a little bit more. I explained the hardware in
my first post. But I have the two Fujitsu SAS disks in RAID-0,
with /dev/sda1 as root, and /dev/sda2 as home. Earlier they were both
xfs, and dog slow. I have now converted both to ext3, and everything is
normal. In addition I have four Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA disks in
hardware RAID-5 on the same controller. This 1,5TB array is still xfs.
It also had and has the same symptoms.

9: I don't know how to do that. But what ever it is, it doesn't happen
with ext3...

Thanks for looking into this!

Regards,
Stian

While there still may be something else wrong, the first problem I see is your sunit and swidth are set to 0.

Please read, a good article on what they are and how to set them:
http://www.socalsysadmin.com/

Justin.