Re: Bug fix for pvrusb2 driver [was: Re: Kernel 2.6.26.5 -> 2.6.27.2[USB REGRESSION] (USB -> D_STATE)]

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 13:22:19 EST

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Mike Isely wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Mike Isely wrote:

There's already a patch coming up through v4l-dvb that should remove the
need for the reset completely for the pvrusb2 driver. The reset had
been there as "chicken soup" previously - it didn't hurt but its
utility wasn't really that great at the time. Now that it is hurting,
I just removed it.

-Mike

Should I wait for the patch coming up through v4l-dvb or test Alan's patch?
2.6.27.2 has quite a few issues:

1. xfs is broken w/barrier (there is a patch for this)
2. usb hangs (patch below)
3. abit-guru (comsetic issue only, doesn't find mobo) (there is a patch for
this now as well)

So I am sticking with 2.6.26.5 right now, let me know if you need me
to test Alan's patch to see if it fixes the issue.

I'm sorry I didn't post my patch immediately in my previous response.
It is however posted as a link in a followup, and for the record here it
is again:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2/rev/0bb411d8d2e4

I have tested it, and it works as expected. I've done all I can
according to the process there to ready it for kernel inclusion and I've
asked in my pull request there to get this patch into the next 2.6.27.x
stable release.

The driver really didn't "need" the reset anyway, and so from where I'm
sitting the simplest thing is just to remove it which is what my patch
does. (I had put in that reset a long time ago when working on
improving hardware stability. I had never positively established that
this actually helped during initialization, but it didn't hurt either so
I left it in place. Now that it is causing pain, it's best just to get
it out of there.) I don't see much point in testing Alan's patch.

Ok, so the following patche are what I have applied to 2.6.27.2:

1. http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2/rev/0bb411d8d2e4

--

1. aw9d-max-dmi-detection.diff
2. pvrusb2-hdw.patch

Rebooting 2.6.27.2 with applied patches (all 3) and will check to make sure everything is back to normal.

Done, after reboot with the [3] applied patches above, it has fixed all the problems I was having.

Justin.