Re: How to find out, what "pdflush" is working on

From: Chris Snook
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 15:10:31 EST

Martin Knoblauch wrote:
Hi,

I find the following comment in mm/pdflush.c

/* * The pdflush threads are worker threads for writing back dirty data. *
Ideally, we'd like one thread per active disk spindle. But the disk *
topology is very hard to divine at this level. Instead, we take * care in
various places to prevent more than one pdflush thread from * performing
writeback against a single filesystem. pdflush threads * have the PF_FLUSHER
flag set in current->flags to aid in this. */

Is there a way to find out what a certain instance of "pdflush" is working
on? Like which block-device or which fliesystem it is writing to? I am still
(2.6.27) trying to track down why writing a single file can make linux very
sluggish and unresponsive. If that happens I usually see all possible 8
"pdflush" threads being in "D"-state. According to above comment only one of
them should be really busy.

The key word is "ideally". We'd like it to work that way, but it doesn't. Patches to fix this are welcome.

-- Chris