Re: Regression in 2.6.27-rcX caused by commit bc19d6e0b74ef03a3baf035412c95192b54dfc6f

From: Carlos Corbacho
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 15:18:47 EST

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 18:08:48 Larry Finger wrote:
> I agree with Michael. From what I know, the only possible reason for
> having [RFKILL_STATE_HARD_BLOCKED] would be if user space could
> somehow affect the state of the hardware switch.

When I disable the b43 device in my laptop via acer-wmi (which in turn, calls
into the laptops firmware), b43 physically cannot re-enable it (a not
uncommon case on a lot of laptops). In which case, as far as b43 is
concerned, the wireless radio is then in RFKILL_STATE_HARD_BLOCKED, since b43
is unable to re-enable the radio on the hardware.

So yes, it is quite possible for b43 to be in RFKILL_STATE_HARD_BLOCKED.

-Carlos
--
E-Mail: carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: strangeworlds.co.uk