How to find out, what "pdflush" is working on

From: Martin Knoblauch
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 09:09:20 EST

Hi,

I find the following comment in mm/pdflush.c

/*
* The pdflush threads are worker threads for writing back dirty data.
* Ideally, we'd like one thread per active disk spindle. But the disk
* topology is very hard to divine at this level. Instead, we take
* care in various places to prevent more than one pdflush thread from
* performing writeback against a single filesystem. pdflush threads
* have the PF_FLUSHER flag set in current->flags to aid in this.
*/

Is there a way to find out what a certain instance of "pdflush" is working on? Like which block-device or which fliesystem it is writing to? I am still (2.6.27) trying to track down why writing a single file can make linux very sluggish and unresponsive. If that happens I usually see all possible 8 "pdflush" threads being in "D"-state. According to above comment only one of them should be really busy.

Cheers
Martin