Re: Allow 8250 to work on sparc.

From: Mark Fortescue
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 09:16:05 EST

Hi Alan,

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Alan Cox wrote:

I am intrigued. Other than the valid baud rates what differences are
visible at the user level?

There are lots of variations between hardware of all kinds but the big
one with USB devices is generally latency.

At the driver level there are lots of varients but I was under the impression that at the user level, the interface is common for async serial ports.

Latency can be an issue, but can it be read/changed via the user <-> kernel interface in a way that is not common to all async serial ports?

If not, it is transparent at the programming interface for user level code so the USB serial ports are no different at this level to classic PC AT serial ports and as such I see no reason why, in the long run, they should not share minor number space.

Taking the argument to its logical conclusion, all devices that have a common user <-> kernel interface should have device drivers that are capable of sharing minor device number space.

I am sure this discusion will crop up again in the future :).

Regards
Mark.