Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 12:53:53 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
With this change, there are several exceptions where this is not the case,
across all driver types -- media, wan, char, net, scsi, ...

Package manifests, build scripts and other details MUST be updated, or these
drivers will not work as they did in kernels <= 2.6.26.

Umm. I complained six months ago when the e1000e driver took over, and the e1000 driver stopped working for me, and you suddenly had to know which version of the e1000 you had - even though there was not any sane way to tell them apart.

Ingo _still_ complains about that occasionally.

What did you do? You didn't care.

Completely false -- what was the outcome? The breakage complained about was fixed, we made sure Ingo had proper defconfig entries, the changes to e1000e were pushed back.

That's a lot of taking-feedback-from-others that you define as "didn't care."

Jeff