Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 11:12:05 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> With this change, there are several exceptions where this is not the case,
> across all driver types -- media, wan, char, net, scsi, ...
>
> Package manifests, build scripts and other details MUST be updated, or these
> drivers will not work as they did in kernels <= 2.6.26.

Umm. I complained six months ago when the e1000e driver took over, and the
e1000 driver stopped working for me, and you suddenly had to know which
version of the e1000 you had - even though there was not any sane way to
tell them apart.

Ingo _still_ complains about that occasionally.

What did you do? You didn't care.

Now you suddenly do care that some driver needs additional love and
learning.

I call bullshit. You don't like the change - ok. But stop making bogus
arguments about it.

Linus