Re: Love and Hate on LKML

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 01:12:50 EST

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 06:06:35PM -0400, Chris Snook wrote:
> Love Hate wrote:
> >Dear Developers,
> >
> >At the outset I would like to thank you for your great work - IMHO Linux
> >is the
> >best OS in the Solar System.
> >
> >Unfortunately, your relationships with certain people are not the best. I
> >do not
> >like how some people are treated on LKML. I will publish further episodes
> >of "Love and Hate on LKML" until you change the climate around Linux
> >development.
> >
> >http://loveandhateonlkml.wordpress.com/
> >
> >If your speech is found in some of the episodes, this means that it has
> >been considered very offensive.
> >
> >Kind regards
>
> This is a classic example of a problem-seeking idea. Quite a lot of people
> post to this list with some idea that they think will make a large impact
> on the community at large, certainly far larger than a lowly patch in a
> subsystem it would take weeks to understand. Typically the proximal cause
> is sleep deprivation, a condition that afflicts many kernel developers and
> enthusiasts, with the result being a decreased inhibition against ideation
> of reference and ideation of grandeur. This causes the believe that you
> have "discovered" something which is really quite well understood and is
> being addressed with the priority it is due, and that as a result of your
> discovery you are uniquely qualified to guide the community to its
> resolution.
>
> I don't mean to throw stones here. If you dig through the archives, you
> can find examples of some grandiose ideas I've posted that never resulted
> in a single line of code, or turned out to be impractical generalizations
> of more specific optimizations that have already been implemented.
> Invariably these were posted while sleep-deprived, and I've been quite
> embarrassed by them the next morning, and relieved that for the most part
> they were ignored.
>
> If not for the importance of addressing this issue, I would leave this post
> ignored as well. I have no qualms with the goal of improving civility on
> LKML, but it's not something that's going to be solved by anonymously
> shaming people on a blog. The goal of your blog appears to be to chastise
> kernel developers, which is at best a needless escalation of hostilities.
>
> If you want to improve the quality of discourse here, then get involved and
> make good posts. Email makes filtering very easy, so if someone is a troll
> or is posting on technical matters they don't understand, we can simply
> ignore them. If you want to rebuke people for particular conduct, do it on
> the list, so the people who read and post to this list can engage in a
> discussion of what is acceptable here. The only people who will read a
> blog such as yours are malcontents looking for reasons to dismiss those who
> have criticized or ignored them.

> [...]

Chris,

your comments make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I think that
you wasted your time trying to educate this one. Judging by
his/her pathetic blog made up from carefully selected excerpts
from the list, and the fact that he/she has no name to post
with, I think he/she's just a kid waiting for his/her parents
to discover he/she used dad's computer without authorization.

Otherwise, I 100% agree with what you said.

Cheers,
Willy