Re: Love and Hate on LKML

From: Chris Snook
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 18:09:23 EST

Love Hate wrote:
Dear Developers,

At the outset I would like to thank you for your great work - IMHO Linux is the
best OS in the Solar System.

Unfortunately, your relationships with certain people are not the best. I do not
like how some people are treated on LKML. I will publish further episodes
of "Love and Hate on LKML" until you change the climate around Linux
development.

http://loveandhateonlkml.wordpress.com/

If your speech is found in some of the episodes, this means that it has
been considered very offensive.

Kind regards

This is a classic example of a problem-seeking idea. Quite a lot of people post to this list with some idea that they think will make a large impact on the community at large, certainly far larger than a lowly patch in a subsystem it would take weeks to understand. Typically the proximal cause is sleep deprivation, a condition that afflicts many kernel developers and enthusiasts, with the result being a decreased inhibition against ideation of reference and ideation of grandeur. This causes the believe that you have "discovered" something which is really quite well understood and is being addressed with the priority it is due, and that as a result of your discovery you are uniquely qualified to guide the community to its resolution.

I don't mean to throw stones here. If you dig through the archives, you can find examples of some grandiose ideas I've posted that never resulted in a single line of code, or turned out to be impractical generalizations of more specific optimizations that have already been implemented. Invariably these were posted while sleep-deprived, and I've been quite embarrassed by them the next morning, and relieved that for the most part they were ignored.

If not for the importance of addressing this issue, I would leave this post ignored as well. I have no qualms with the goal of improving civility on LKML, but it's not something that's going to be solved by anonymously shaming people on a blog. The goal of your blog appears to be to chastise kernel developers, which is at best a needless escalation of hostilities.

If you want to improve the quality of discourse here, then get involved and make good posts. Email makes filtering very easy, so if someone is a troll or is posting on technical matters they don't understand, we can simply ignore them. If you want to rebuke people for particular conduct, do it on the list, so the people who read and post to this list can engage in a discussion of what is acceptable here. The only people who will read a blog such as yours are malcontents looking for reasons to dismiss those who have criticized or ignored them.

My suggestion to you, and to everyone else who wants to improve the quality of this community, is to become a part of it. Learn a subsystem. Post patches that fix problems people care about. Listen to criticism and respond to it constructively. This will make your posts relevant to the list, and give you far more influence than a blog about a technical mailing list that has no technical objective. Convincing other people to be nice is not a technical problem that can be resolved by one person analyzing it and implementing a solution in a late-night hacking/blogging session. Quite the contrary, late-night hacking/blogging sessions tend to be detrimental to this goal.

-- Chris