Re: Question about interrupt routing and irq allocation

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 10:56:41 EST

* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> So the most intelligent method would be to reserve the Linux irq
>> itself but not the vector, i.e. allocate from irq_cfg[] in
>> arch/x86/kernel/io_apic_64.c so that the irq number does not get
>> reused - setting irq_cfg[irq].vector to -1 will achieve that.
>
> I'm initially targeting 32-bit, though obviously I'd like something
> that works for both 32 and 64 bit. irq_cfg[] is missing in
> io_apic_32.c; would I achieve the same effect by setting
> irq_vector[irq] = 0xff or something?

ok, here comes the next phase of a rather cunning plan: please unify
these vector allocators first! ;-)

it's nontrivial but would result in rather nice code. I dont know
whether we want to extend per-CPU vectors to 32-bit as well ... but
might be worth an attempt and we could give any exploratory patches a
try in -tip. Eric, what do you think about the general approach?

this would also pave the way towards unified APIC code. Hm?

Ingo