Re: Question about interrupt routing and irq allocation

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 12:24:53 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
I'm initially targeting 32-bit, though obviously I'd like something that works for both 32 and 64 bit. irq_cfg[] is missing in io_apic_32.c; would I achieve the same effect by setting irq_vector[irq] = 0xff or something?

ok, here comes the next phase of a rather cunning plan: please unify these vector allocators first! ;-)

Somehow I knew you were going to say that...

it's nontrivial but would result in rather nice code. I dont know whether we want to extend per-CPU vectors to 32-bit as well ... but might be worth an attempt and we could give any exploratory patches a try in -tip. Eric, what do you think about the general approach?

this would also pave the way towards unified APIC code. Hm

All of that sounds very appealing, particularly as the work on xen-dom0 continues. But in the meantime I'm just using create_irq(), and I'll wear the wasted vector (after all, it will only happen when booting under Xen-hvm).