Re: Question about interrupt routing and irq allocation

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 05:46:36 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
hm, in theory the highest quality method would be to do this on the genirq level and register your own special "Xen irq-chip" methods. [see include/linux/irq.h's "struct irq_chip" and kernel/irq/*.c]

I already have one of those for pv guests, and I think I can reuse it more or less unchanged.

you can use set_irq_chip() to claim a specific irq and set up its handling at the highest level. That way you dont have to do anything in the x86 hw vector space at all and you'd avoid all the overhead and complications of x86 irq vectors. You can control how these interrupts are named in /proc/interrupts, etc.

Yeah, that was my plan.

but this needs synchronization with all the other entities that claim specific irqs and expect to be able to get them. MSI already does that to a certain level, see arch_setup_msi_irq() / set_irq_msi(). But that wastes x86 vectors and we dont really want to waste them as you dont actually want to use any separate per irq hw vectoring mechanism for these interrupts.

OK. So if I just used create_irq() that would get me an irq I can use, but would also end up allocating a vector too.

So the most intelligent method would be to reserve the Linux irq itself but not the vector, i.e. allocate from irq_cfg[] in arch/x86/kernel/io_apic_64.c so that the irq number does not get reused - setting irq_cfg[irq].vector to -1 will achieve that.

I'm initially targeting 32-bit, though obviously I'd like something that works for both 32 and 64 bit. irq_cfg[] is missing in io_apic_32.c; would I achieve the same effect by setting irq_vector[irq] = 0xff or something?

Thanks,