Re: If you want me to quit I will quit

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 13:36:31 EST

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:20:24AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > I expect that means "don't alter stuff after you've sent the pull request".
> > That'd be fairly dumb.
> >
> > But during the two-month -rcX timeframe the patches in the git and quilt
> > trees get altered, dropped, reordered regularly. Some of the git trees
> > don't really exist, I believe - their owners assemble them from a
> > quilt-based master tree for external sharing only.
>
> As far as I understand it, changes in Daves tree would cause problems
> for people like Jeff Garzik and John Linville who themselves base their
> work on Daves tree during the two-month -rcX timeframe.

Yes. It really depends on how people use those trees.

For trees that are *only* used for basically throw-away single-use testing
(ie -mm and -next, both of which will always re-build the whole tree each
time), changing a published tree doesn't matter at all, or matters very
little.

But once you get real people, rather than automation, that actually want
to do development on top of a git tree, then rebuilding that tree is
really really annoying for those users.

So the networking tree, where you have other maintainers that are also git
users, really shouldn't be rebuilt, because that messes with developers.

Many other git trees are really more of a "private development trees that
are exposed to -mm and -next to get some wider testing".

Linus