Re: If you want me to quit I will quit

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 13:32:08 EST

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:44:20AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > git-tree owners might need, umm, some encouragement here. It's much easier
> > for them to slap the oh-let's-fix-that-up commit at the tail of their
> > queue, which leaves us with the straggly commit record.
>
> As far as I understand Linus on these matters people David Miller
> mustn't edit older commits in their trees once their tree got pushed
> out.

I wouldn't say "mustn't", because the _one_ thing I hate is totally rigid
rules.

What I do try to encourage is for people to think publicising their git
trees as "version announcements". They're obviously _development_
versions, but they're still real versions, and before you publicize them
you should try to make sure that they make sense and are something you can
stand behind.

And once you've publicized them, you don't know who has that tree, so just
from a sanity and debugging standpoint, you should try to avoid mucking
with already-public versions. If you made a mistake, add a patch on top to
fix it (and announce the new state), but generally try to not "hide" the
fact that the state has changed.

But it's not a hard rule. Sometimes simple cleanliness means that you can
decide to go "oops, that was *really* wrong, let's just throw that away
and do a whole new set of patches". But it should be something rare - not
normal coding practice.

Because if it becomes normal coding practice, now people cannot work with
you sanely any more (ie some random person pulls your tree for testing,
and then I pull it at some other time, and the tester reports a problem,
but now the commits he is talking about don't actually even exist in my
tree any more, and it's all really messy!).

The x86 tree still does this. I absolutely detest it. Ingo claims that his
model is better, and I'm pretty damn sure he's wrong. But until it starts
causing bigger problems, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Linus