Re: git tree with VFS stuff

From: Al Viro
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 09:30:08 EST

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:13:48AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Miklos,
>
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:32:28 +0100 Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I've created a git tree with the following mounts related stuff:
> >
> > - read-only bind mounts
> > - /proc/<pid>/mountinfo
> > - unprivileged mounts
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfsstuff.git master
> >
> > I guess, giving these a spin in linux-next wouldn't hurt?
>
> I don't think this is what we want to use linux-next for. Linux-next is
> really a place for stuff that will pretty clearly go into the next kernel
> release i.e. 2.6.26 right now. If you want to experiment on things for
> beyond that timeframe, then a snapshot of linux-next may be a good base.
> I will take them when they reach the appropriate subsystem tree and are
> ready for integration.

FWIW, I must apologize for delay with getting the damn tree open on
kernel.org ;-/ The last couple of weeks had been Not Fun(tm) in a
lot of respects.

Hopefully I'll finish putting the damn thing into publishable shape by
tomorrow. As for the stuff mentioned above... ro-bind series - definitely
yes, mountinfo - IMO needs a sane discussion of what and how should be shown
wrt propagation state, unprivileged mounts - in the "need to finish reviewing"
pile.