Re: [2.6.23-rc8-mm2] System hangs (loops?) during boot

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 22:30:50 EST

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:07:33 +0200 Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That excludes all the extra stuff in -mm and should give us a good hint
> > whether HPET is really at fault.
>
> The system does boot with rc8 + hrt1.
>
> Andrew: any suggestions on how to trace the "real" culprit for the hang?

Not really. Ordinarily one could move hpet-force-enable-on-ich34.patch to
start-of-series, then verify that mainline+hpet-force-enable-on-ich34.patch
works correctly, then just bisect all the other patches.

But tht doesn't work because hpet-force-enable-on-ich34.patch has a
dependency on other patches in the hrt-related patch series, and it could
be that the bug which you've exposed is already in mainline anyway.

If you had a minimal, standalone hpet-force-enable-on-ich34.patch against
mainline then you could test that against mainline. If that also failed
then you could git-bisect mainline, applying
hpet-force-enable-on-ich34.patch each time (I've done that before). But
this assumes that you're searching for a regression in minaline. It may
never have worked.