Re: [2.6.23-rc8-mm2] System hangs (loops?) during boot

From: Frans Pop
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 21:13:12 EST

On Monday 01 October 2007, Udo A. Steinberg wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:07:33 +0200 Frans Pop (FP) wrote:
> FP> On Monday 01 October 2007, you wrote:
> FP> > I was suggesting to download 2.6.23-rc8 and applying the -hrt
> patchset FP> > at
> FP> >
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tglx/hrtimers/2.6.23-rc8/
> FP> > on top of it.
>
> FP> The system does boot with rc8 + hrt1.
>
> FP> Udo: I did see one issue during boot with this rc8 + hrt1 kernel.
> FP> System is Debian unstable.
> FP> Setting the system clock..
> FP> select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
>
> Thomas and Andrew are the best people to ask about what exactly has been
> merged from -hrt into -mm. Maybe they can chime in here.

I agree with you for the original issue.

But the /dev/rtc issue described here has *nothing* to do with mm: I saw
that with pure Linus' 2.6.23-rc8 + Thomas' hrt1 on top: the combination you
asked me to test.
So this is an issue in "your" hrt changes. Thomas may have some suggestions,
but maybe you can have a look as well?

I'm of course willing to do a bisect if needed to narrow this down, but I'd
like to know who I'll be talking or where I should follow up for issues in
the hrt patch set.