Re: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 11:40:01 EST

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 08:56:39AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> As a user I know it because I didn't put a kernel source into /tmp. A
> programm can't reasonably know that.

Various apps requires you (admin/user) to tune the size of their
caches. Seems like you never tried to setup a database, oh well.

> Xen has its own memory pool and can quite agressively reclaim memory
> from dom0 when needed. I just ment to say that the number in

The whole point is if there's not enough ram of course... this is why
you should check.

> /proc/meminfo can change in a second so it is not much use knowing
> what it said last minute.

The numbers will change depending on what's running on your
system. It's up to you to know plus I normally keep vmstat monitored
in the background to see how the cache/free levels change over
time. Those numbers are worthless if they could be fragmented...

> I would kill any programm that does that to find out how much free ram
> the system has.

The admin should do that if he's unsure, not a program of course!