Re: [Patch 1/2] Trace code and documentation (resend)

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 11:41:25 EST

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 08:38:34AM -0700, David Wilder wrote:
> >NACK, don't put code into Documentation/. Put it into kernel as it's
> >actually useful kernel code.
>
> Are you suggesting moving the example code into kernel? Or complaining
> about example code in /Documentation?

Both. example code should be integrated with the build system so it
gets built.

> And add clone,exec and exit while you're at it.
>
> Hu? A syscall tracer sounds like a nice idea but that is not what I am
> trying to accomplish. I will let Systemtap handle that.

Systemtap doesn't help anyone as it's not in the tree. I haven't even
asked you to provide a full system call tracing modulem but provide at
least one that's useful for a certain use-case (looking at processes)
instead of almost useless code.