From: Tarkan Erimer
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 06:00:41 EST

david@xxxxxxx wrote:

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:43:28 +0300
From: Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
On Sat, 2007-06-09 15:57:55 +1000, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday June 9, tarkan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > As we know the forthcoming GPL V3 will be not compatible with the GPL > > V2 and Linux Kernel is GPL V2 only.
> > So, another point is, which is previously mentioned by Linus and > > others, that if it is decided to upgrade the Linux Kernel's License to > > GPL V3, it is needed the permission of all the maintainers permission > > who contributed to the Linux Kernel and there are a lot of lost or > > dead maintainers. Which makes it impossible to get all the > > maintainers' permission.
> > > You don't need the permission of maintainers. You need the permission
> of copyright owners. The two groups overlap, but are not the same.
> Dead people cannot own anything, even copyright. Their estate
> probably can. I don't think it is theoretically impossible to get
> everyone's permission, though it may be quite close to practically
> impossible. >
And the next question is: How much copyright does a copyright owner
own? For example, think of drivers written by one person, but a small
number of lines changed here and there by others to adopt the code to
new APIs. Ask them all, I think?

MfG, JBG

And maybe another questions should be : How long a copyright owner can hold the copyright, if died or lost for sometime ? if died, the copyright still should be valid or not ? If lost, what the law orders at this point for copyright holding ?

I believe that in the US it's life + 90 years.

David Lang
Hmm... Really,it is damn too much time to wait! It's really better idea to replace the code of this person as said before instead of waiting such 90+ years!