Re: D-Link DGE-528T (r8159) autonegotation of 1000 Mbps link does not work

From: Francois Romieu
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 15:03:40 EST

Please Cc: the maintainer from the MAINTAINERS file.

Petri T. Koistinen <petri.koistinen@xxxxxx> :
[...]
> I just brought two D-Link DGE-528T (uses r8159 driver) network adapters
> to have nice 1 Gbps home network between two computers.

- which kernel ?
- dmesg please ?

[...]
> and when I use this cable I only get 10 Mbps connection when connected
> another D-Link DGE-528T.

Try a straight cable between the two D-Link adapters.

[...]
> Do anyone know if there some known bug in auto-negotiation with
> Realtek 8159 chip? (Or is that just wrong cable?)
>
> Can I force 1000 Mbps link on some other way than giving option to
> insmod? Using /proc or something?

mii-tool or (better) ethtool.

[...]
> What kind of transfer speed you have reached with these cards ? That
> 15 MiB/s is not what I expected.

It smells like fast ethernet. Even my old PII does better than that with
a 8169.

Please send 'mii-tool -vv' and/or ethtool output + vmstat 1 during test.

--
Ueimor